Froggie's Top 5 Road Projects, by state
A misc.transport.road thread from October, 2006 asked readers, if they had
"complete control of your state's highway budget and resources", what their
top five road projects would be. Below, I have included my listings for
those states under my cognizance (or at least have some experience with):
- Implement the "Ultimate Vision" from the Downtown Minneapolis Freeway
Study (includes I-35W/I-94/MN 55 "Spaghetti Junction" reconstruction and
widening of the I-94 Lowry Hill Tunnel).
- Reconstruct and expand I-494 between MN 100 and MN 77, to include full
reconstruction of the I-494/MN 100 and I-494/I-35W interchanges.
- Expand I-694 between I-35W and I-35E, to include full reconstruction of
the I-694/I-35W and I-694/US 10/MN 51 interchanges.
- Widen I-94 to 8 through lanes (plus auxiliary lanes as needed) between
downtown Minneapolis and downtown St. Paul.
- Upgrade US 10 to a full freeway between Little Falls and Anoka.
- *NOTE* I originally had the I-35W/MN 62 "Crosstown Commons"
on this list, but a full reconstruction of the "Commons" is now underway,
with expected completion in 2010.
- Expand the I-20/I-55/US 49 multiplex, to include full reconstruction of
the western I-20/I-55/US 49 (and US 51) interchange.
- Expansion of I-10 to a minimum of 6 lanes (3 lanes per direction)
- Conversion of US 49 to a full freeway (either by upgrading the existing
route, building a nearby parallel facility, or a mix of both) from Gulfport to
- Expand I-20/I-59 to 6 lanes from their junction west of Meridian to US 45.
- Build the proposed "Jackson Airport Parkway" and associated spur routes.
- Expedite the reconstruction and widening of I-10 between the New Orleans
Int'l Airport and I-610.
- Replace and expand the I-10 high bridge over the Inner Harbor Navigation
Canal in eastern New Orleans.
- Expand I-10 to 8 through lanes between I-110 and I-12 in Baton Rouge.
- Expand I-12 to 6 lanes between Airport Rd/Northshore Blvd (Exit 80) and
I-10/59 in Slidell, to include interchange improvements at all three
interchanges (Airport Rd/Northshore Blvd, US 11, and I-10/I-59).
- Convert the approaches to the Lake Pontchartrain Causeway to full freeway
on either end: south to I-10 and north to I-12 (technically US 190,
since US 190 is already freeway-grade between LA 22/Causeway and I-12).
- Reconstruct and expand I-20/I-59 between I-65 and US 31/US 280, to include
full reconstruction of "Malfunction Junction" (the junction between I-20/59
- Expedite the 6-lane widening of I-20/I-59 between Tuscaloosa and
- Expand I-10 to at least 6 lanes statewide (including expansion or a new
bridge at the Wallace Tunnel and widening the "Bayway" crossing of Mobile
- Expand I-20 to at least 6 lanes from Birmingham to the Georgia line.
- Upgrade US 280 to a freeway from the end of the Red Bank Expressway (US
31) to Shelby CR 47 (near Chelsea).
- Expand I-440 to at least 6 through lanes (plus auxiliary lanes as needed)
- Reconstruct/convert US 78 to a full freeway from I-240 to the Mississippi
- Expand I-24 to 6 lanes from I-59 to downtown Chattanooga.
- Expand I-40 to 6 lanes through Jackson.
- (not a particular project per-se) Implement Access Management on all
future 4-lane projects and retrofit onto as many existing 4/5-lane roadway
segments as possible.
- Widen I-64 to 8 through lanes plus 2 reversible express lanes (and
auxiliary lanes as needed) between I-664 in Hampton and I-264 in Norfolk (CBA
2 from the Hampton Roads Crossing studies, plus continuation to the Hampton
Roads area's busiest interchange).
- Expand I-64 to at least 6 through lanes between downtown Richmond and
- Expand I-95 to at least 8 through lanes between downtown Richmond and
I-495 in Springfield.
- Expand I-81 to at least 6 through lanes statewide.
- Expand the Midtown Tunnel between Portsmouth and Norfolk.
Central New York
- Reconstruct I-81 in central Binghamton, to include the NY 17 West
interchange, the NY 7 interchange, and the bridge over the Chenango River,
providing a minimum of 4 through lanes (2 each direction) on I-81 without
requiring lane changes (as is now required northbound).
- Reconstruct the I-81 Viaduct and the I-81/690 interchange near downtown
Syracuse. As with at Binghamton, provide a minimum of 4 through lanes (2 each
direction) on I-81 without requiring lane changes (does not currently exist
- Expand NY 31 to 4 lanes between Clay and Cicero.
- Expand NY 13 to 4 lanes between Horseheads and Cortland.
- Add a pair of slip ramps to/from the west on I-90 at the location
where NY 49 breaks off to the northwest towards Rome. This will
improve access to/from the west on the Thruway at Utica, which right
now requires backtracking from the existing interchange at Exit 31.
More states and projects to follow in the future.
Back to Magnolia Meanderings
Page last modified
15 June, 2008
Copyright (C) 2008-2007, Adam Froehlig